The goal of school health services is to ensure that students are healthy, in school, and ready to learn. Services are provided in accordance with a local School Health Services Plan jointly developed by the Florida Department of Health in Broward County, School Board of Broward County, and the Broward County Comprehensive School Health Advisory Committee.
Core Services of the Basic School Health Services Program are:
- Nursing assessments
- Health counseling
- Referrals and follow-up for suspected or confirmed health problems
- Individualized health care plan development
- In-school care management for chronic and acute health conditions
- Assistance with medication administration and health care procedures
- Vision, Hearing, Scoliosis, and Growth and Development screenings
- First aid and emergency health services
- Communicable disease prevention and intervention
- Emergency preparedness.
Additional services are provided in schools that are designated as Full Service or Comprehensive schools.